Our favorite fall festival is finally here! Oviedo’s Great Day in the Country is a trademark of our town’s beautiful weather and friendly community. It is also the best place to get some early holiday shopping done in a much more enjoyable setting than the busy malls, not to mention all the great food. Here is some information on the event. Hope to see everyone there! Enjoy 🙂
|Information Booths will be located near common points of entry to the showgrounds. You’ll be able to ask questions, look at enlarged vendor maps, and find out more about the Woman’s Club and Great Day.|
How much does it cost to come to Great Day? $0 – so please join us!
Is Great Day a kid-friendly event? ABSOLUTELY! We have a special kids area and even entertainment geared toward kids.
Can I bring my own food? No one will stop you, but you’ll be missing out on a lot of great treats – like homemade baked goods from the Country Store, delicious BBQ, mouth-watering hamburgers, fresh-churned ice cream….you get the idea.
Can I use a credit card to buy things there? It depends on the vendor. Most food vendors do NOT take credit cards. Some arts and craft vendors do. If you plan to do any eating or shopping, you’ll want to bring some cash and a checkbook. There are several ATMs near the site you can visit on the way there, including Citizens Bank of Florida on Geneva Drive, Publix at Tuscawilla Bend, or any of the banks you pass on the way to Great Day.
What kind of crafts are there? They range from super rustic crafty things you can hang on your doorknob for the holidays, to toys, to fine furniture, to beautifully painted gourds, to oil paintings….you name it. This is a classy show, and you’re bound to be impressed by something you see.
How many people show up? The police tell us about 55,000 came in 2009, but there were still plenty of spots to hang out under the oak trees by Lawton House and the hay bales by the Entertainment Stage.
What’s the Woman’s Club? A group of about 150 women from the area who meet throughout the year to do good things in the community.
LOCATION & PARKING
Great day is located on the grounds of Lawton Elementary School (151 Graham Avenue, Oviedo, FL 32765). If you go to the intersection of Lake Jessup Avenue and Broadway (also known as S.R. 426 and Aloma), it’s impossible to miss it.
Free parking is available at First Baptist Church of Oviedo (right across the street from Great Day) and along the street for our earliest visitors. Only the Lake Jessup entrance will be open, so please use that route. There is also ample FREE parking at Oviedo High School, and you can ride the FREE shuttle bus to and from the show.
Shuttle Bus Details. The free shuttle bus will run continuously from 9 to 4, but if you’d like to walk, the high school is close enough to get to Great Day by foot. The bus picks up from the street that runs adjacent to the football field (King Street, look for a big sign). The bus drops/picks up at Great Day on the bus ramp of Lawton Elementary (on the east side of the cafeteria near ArtFest). It usually completes a drop-off/pick-up circuit once every 20 minutes. The shuttle bus has room to stash strollers and wheelchairs for the ride, and it is air conditioned
Paid Parking. Various close (and privately owned) locations around the show offer convenient parking at rates usually ranging from $5 to $10. The donations often benefit local civic groups or charities and the lots are typically roped off with signage indicating the rate and the cause.
- 9:00 Welcome – Nancy Garlanger, OWC President
- Prayer – Rev. Brinda LeBleu, Assistant Pastor First United Methodist Church of Oviedo
- Pledge of Allegiance – Nancy Garlanger, OWC President
- National Anthem
- Presentation of Student Art Awards
- 9:30 Oviedo Rascals Cheerleaders
- 10:00 Lady J
- 10:30 Oviedo High School’s Mane Attraction Dance Troop
- 11:00 Music by St. Luke’s Lutheran Church
- 11:30 Nations All Stars Cheer Group
- 11:55 The Oviedo Preservation Project Unveils its 2011 Calendar
- 12:05 Adrenaline Dance Company
- 12:30 Lady J
- 1:00 Full Circle Spirit Band
- 2:00 Oviedo High School’s Jazz Band
- 3:00 Flamenco Dancing by Dancer’s Edge
- 3:15Country Singer Naomi Lauren
- 3:30 Opportunity Ticket Prizes Announced
LAWTON HOUSE PORCH
- 10:00 Puppet Show by Antioch Missionary Baptist Church)
- 10:30 Hands on with Puppets with Antioch Missionary Baptist Church)
- 11:00 Amazing Airborne Feats by Aerial Aerobats
- 12:00 Martial Arts Demonstration by Championship Martial Arts
- 12:30 Tumbling and Stunts by Nationals All Stars Cheerleaders
- 1:00 Storytelling with Zell (stories geared toward kids through 3rd grade)
- 1:30-2:00 Amazing Airborne Feats by Aerial Aerobats